Saturday, June 19, 2010

T- 8... counting the days until I fly to Port-au-Prince

Quick update: Due to security/accommodation issues we decided to fly separately. Graham left on June 15th and I will fly in a few days.

First things first. Graham has reported back from Port-au-Prince. He is doing well. As expected the heat (38 C today) and the language have been challenging. He has spent the last couple of days looking for an apartment for us, getting to know the people in his team and trying to establish what his tasks will be during the next little bit.

I am currently in Vancouver, BC , a city which is possibly the exact opposite of what I expect Port-au-Prince looks like. It is summer time in this part of the world but it has been cold and rainy. Weather aside, this is probably the most organized, clean, and efficient place I have ever lived in. “Experts” often rank it as one of the best places to live in the world, and it only takes a short stroll through one of the many parks or beaches to understand why. I will try to post some pictures so I don’t bore you with endless descriptions... My point is that it is pretty hard to pack for post-earthquake Haiti while being here. Everything seems so easy and reachable when you’re in Canada. Huge stores everywhere, drinkable tap water, you can do anything online... So what to pack aside from the obvious? I feel very silly thinking about things like shoes considering the dire situation of so many Haitians. However, we are planning to be there for several months and anything that could make our experience a bit easier it’s probably not a bad idea. So, big French dictionary? Extra mosquito repellent? Food? Books? I’ll keep thinking about it while I take advantage of the peace and quiet of this city for a few more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment