Monday, June 14, 2010

Next stop Port-au-Prince

The (next) adventure is about to begin. Tomorrow I fly via Montreal to Port-au-Prince, Haiti to begin a year's work with an NGO. Want to know more details about the role? Join the club. For now, I know that I will be supporting the Health Ministry, as they implement a complex plan to improve their services via the coordination between government and NGO resources.

The reactions of friends and family have spanned the whole spectrum. Tania and I have received vigorous handshakes of appreciation, astounded looks of confusion and confident nods of approval. All have acted surprised, but most are not. After all, we've been bouncing around the world for several years now (like "pingpong balls" as Tania's mother would say) and to many, Haiti is just the next stop. But it's actually quite different.

Our experience in Haiti will define whether we orient our careers towards development work. We've both had enough academic exposure to be healthily skeptical about not only the effectiveness of NGOs and multi-lateral organizations, but also the "strategy" of development itself. After all, despite the work of legions of NGOs and billions of development assistance, Haiti is neither wealthier not healthier than it was 50 years ago. But we are still believers in the ability - and duty - of the developed world to improve living standards in countries like Haiti. There is no excuse for development academics and practitioners but to improve their methods. Status quo is too often woefully inadequate.

Though important, these thoughts have long given way to more pressing concerns. My mind is now swirling with thoughts of finding a place to live, learning Creole, adjusting to the humidity, and surviving hurricane season. Ci siamo? Yes, as ready as I'll ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment